Bugs Love

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Daily Zeitgeist

A few interesting articles capturing the spirit of our age:

American Kids, dumber than dirt

Fiscal irresponsibility - war tax under consideration?

The other side of Global Warming - less fresh water

And yet further White House machinations in downplaying the gravity of global warming and the impact on health

Sulfur granules to stave off global warming. Will somebody evaluate the scientific merits of this idea?

A good rundown of organic foods with the most impact on our diet. Interestingly, American diet seems to consist primarily of potatoes, peanut butter and ketchup, along with the occasional apple and banana. Kind of unhealthy, if you ask me.


CW Nevius's ongoing boilerplate about the homeless in our fair City's park.
#1: Homeless spreading out from the park. Choice quotes:
  • "Wednesday, we put out the garbage," says Burnett, who has lived in her Outer Richmond District apartment for three years. "When I am coming home late, and I see somebody in my driveway going through my trash, they look angry at me. I'm thinking, 'No, this is my house.' "
  • The frustration cuts both ways. Some homeless residents see themselves as harmless eccentrics, living on the fringes of society. "I waved to one of the neighbors this morning, and he flipped me off," Olsen says. "You try to be nice, but if you're homeless, you're automatically the scum of the earth." Neighbors? Dude, you're homeless, those people are paying a million bucks to live there, and they're also paying taxes to finance all of your support programs.
#2: Homeless encampments in GG park

#3: Homeless rousted from the park

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home