Bugs Love

Thursday, July 26, 2007

A quote for today

Everything of importance has already been seen by somebody who didn't notice it.
-- Alfred North Whitehead

The first week of Chinese Hospital is nearly over. It's been a lot of fun and a great experience in many ways. I've learned some practical skills (digital rectal exam), some rules to work and live by (structure and routine is key, both for yourself and family, be responsible, be honest about what you don't know, try to plan for contingencies), and also about the daily grind of going into one of the most demanding types of jobs. I've learned that having the right shoes will matter a lot (I'm still trudging around in flat-soled dress shoes), as I come home with very sore feet/legs, although I've found that stretching when I get home helps quite a bit. Doctors have been more than willing to let me get into the mix of their work, and the language barrier hasn't been too much of an obstacle yet. I've learned how pervasive sales reps are in the hospital setting, and how difficult it is for one man to go it alone in the big bad world of solo practice. Everything is a matter of perspective -- a doctor getting paid 500K in the boonies probably thinks of him or herself as a bigshot and can get all the referrals, but in the Bay Area, that's just small fry compared to VCs getting paid millions and you're out there against every other doctor who wants to live in the greatest city in the Western US.

More than anything, I am reminded there are only 24 hours in a day... all my dreams, goals, hopes, plans, etc, require condensing and distilling and continuous effort; everybody faces the same ennui against pushing harder, striving for better, living to the edge of the envelope, borrowing from the Right Stuff. How can I master all the clinical material, study for boards, get in good with ortho faculty (if indeed I choose this, I need to prepare early, so the CW goes), be a good husband and father, and still leave room to develop everything else, to make sure life doesn't pass by? Well, it can be done. But it won't be easy.

I like the quote above, not as though it pertains to anything particular I have written here, but that sometimes, the most important things in life are sometimes things we tend to overlook. Why is that? I think it is because, somehow, we all feel we can cheat against life or nature, that maybe sometimes the rules won't apply to us. But everything is connected. Everything has consequences. Because of that, we only have the ability to arrange several variables in our life to our liking. Precious few variables. That is why we must seek, in regular deep reflection, what is it that we wish to strive for, and persevere with it.

There was another beautiful quote I read somewhere recently, but I have misplaced it. Maybe I'll locate it for the next post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home