Bugs Love

Monday, January 21, 2008

Can I really leave my heart in San Francisco?

Yesterday James went to the library to prepare for an upcoming midterm. I felt bored at home and wanted to take Chubby to Union Square to do some shopping.

Last time when I went there with Chubby alone, Chubby was not even two months old and I was still on my disability (from pregnancy and child birth) leave. I buckled him in the infant car seat and locked the car seat in the matching stroller. When I got downhill to the campus, I took the disability ramp and waited for N-Judah there. When the muni car approached, the bus driver was complaining "This is not meant for you. This is for disable people to use. You should take off the infant car seat and fold the stroller and get on the bus as other passengers". But "nicely" he did a "favor" to me and I got on the bus using the disability ramp. I tried to explain that I just delivered a baby and I was not able to hold a more than 10 lb baby in a 10 lb car seat, while the other hand holding a 15 lb stroller. Which hand can I use to pay the fare? During the whole trip, the bus driver stopped at every single disability ramp and asked me to read the sign and told me this would be the last time he stopped the muni for me on the disability ramp. I got angry and argued back because I didn't think I did anything wrong. Hello, is he a father? Does he feel the pain of his wife while traveling alone with an infant baby?

So this time I decided to drive to the Forrest Hill station and park around there and then take the train there. After all, there is elevator and I don't need to use a disability ramp any more. As soon as I got on the muni, the bus driver opened his window and talked to me. But I didn't understand his English. It took me a while to understand that he asked me to un-buckle my baby from the infant car seat and hold him during the trip. What? Are you insane? Do you know the trip on muni was never smooth and the jerkiness could get my baby fly out of my arms? Another passenger told me that it was state law for babies' safety concern that I had to hold my baby on the bus. I didn't understand. Are they parents? Have they held an infant baby? Do they know an infant car seat locked into a stroller is the safest harbor for a baby traveling on the train? Other Moms on the muni with toddlers told me not to worry about the stupid rule. I couldn't believe this was indeed the state law. So when I came home, James and I found Muni was notorious about their hostility to Moms and babies. They require Moms fold the stroller and hold their babies in their laps to make space for other passengers. They claimed this was also for the safety concern of other riders.

I guess the only way I can take the muni with my baby is to use a baby carrier. There are more and more things we just don't like about the city. No wonder there are more dogs than babies in the city. Living cost is one thing. But the city didn't really try hard to accommodate a growing family. Can we really call this place our permanent home?

1 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Blogger Greg said...

hi

I saw your blog posting via Google News Alerts...the driver in each case really had no business telling you those things.

People board all the time with animals and say they're "service dogs" when they aren't, and get away with it, you'd think they have a little sympathy for humans.

Also, if you have something like this happen again, you should note the driver and the number of the train or bus you're on and send a complaint to MUNI and CC a copy to my blog at the N Judah Chronicles.

There's no reason that folks such as yourself with infants and young children can't be accomodated on a MUNI bus or train like we do for the elderly, an the disabled, and well, pretty much everyone. More importantly, drivers work for us, not themselves and they need to be professional and courteous, not jerks.

njudahchronicles.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home